Friday, June 25, 2010

VirtualBox not saving the VM state

I thought I was going crazy. I would close a guest virtual machine in VirtualBox, saving its state so that I could come back to it later. The next day I'd come back and the guest would reboot from a powered down state. The suspended state was gone, with an unknown amount of data lost in the session (maybe none, but I don't know - a couple of times I got weird errors when Windows came back up).

Anyway, it wasn't me. It seems that there is an error in the current version of VirtualBox (I'm running 3.2.4) that loses the state. I've been following the discussion around the fix for this on VirtualBox.org:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/5656#comment:25

Anyway, it seems that the issue has been identified and we just need to wait for version 3.2.6 to arrive. Which is all fine and dandy, but 3.2.5 is not available for download yet, so its going to be a little time for us mere mortals that aren't in a position to run beta versions of the software.

[Edit: July 6th, 2010]

Well, version 3.2.6 arrived quickly it seems. I tried it out last week, and my sessions are being saved ok. Good work vbox team.

No comments:

Post a Comment