Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Dimdim - the free WebEx - and sharing your desktop on Linux

Dimdim is a fairly functional online meeting tool, similar to WebEx. The two advantages over WebEx (and GoToMeeting) are that Dimdim provides a free option, and it works with Linux.

Very recently Dimdim pushed out an Alpha version of a plugin for sharing your Linux desktop, and starting a meeting directly from an icon on your desktop panel. I downloaded the plugin, extracted the files, and ran the installer in a terminal session (~/Downloads/WebMeeting). This did most of what was required, except when I tried to run the WebMeeting plugin (in the Gnome Internet menu) it didn't work. Running the program from the terminal session told me that libssl.so.6 did not exist. So I simply created a couple of links:

cd /usr/lib
sudo ln -s libcrypto.so.0.9.8 libcrypto.so.6
sudo ln -s libssl.so.0.9.8 libssl.so.6

Hey, it works! Thanks Dimdim for providing a usable meeting tool on Linux!

4 comments:

  1. Even after adding these symbolic links my dimdim script still complains about "error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, I missed your comment, sorry.

    I remember struggling with this for a while, but it was so far back I don't really know what I did. Do you have to chmod the symbolic links to make them accessible to your user?

    Just guessing here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are on a 64-bit system, you need to put these links into /usr/lib32 -- this is a 32-bit application.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, this is great feedback. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete